Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Joy Meter!





(I am the one of the left with my arm around my little sister, Keely) 
 

As I did the dishes this evening, I saw the sun set. It was so beautiful reminding me of specific moments in my childhood. It all started when I was born; my mom said that when I came out of the womb, the room was brightened up by the smile that was on my face. I earned the nickname sunshine before my first birthday. I smiled every day, everywhere. 

Sunshine: brightness or radiance; cheerfulness or happiness (dictionary.com). I love that. Happiness makes you smile, and the smile on your face affects those around you. 

 A few days ago, God gave me a wonderful wakeup call. I was having a very bad Thursday last week. I felt as if everyone was against me; I felt sad and gloomy. And that’s when it happened. It hit me so fast that I could not predict it before it happened. My wakeup call was given to me in the strangest way, but it had to happen. God opened my eyes. I was sitting in my room after coming home from the Christian club at my school, and my eyes were filled with tears. God then embraced me with a warm hug and brought me close to Him. He whispered in my ear “Sunshine, please smile.” I picked up my head, wiped the tears off my face, and sat at my computer while flash backs of my childhood ran through my head.
God used a good friend of mine to remind me that smiling is good, and we should be joyful. I woke up because I listened to God’s voice. He makes me smile. No matter how hard or challenging I think my life gets, I know that my smile is here to stay.  

I am Avonlea “Sunshine” Helen Schemmer. I am smiling! 

Let’s pray!
Dear Father,
Often times it feels that I cannot smile anymore because my life is a mess, but I know that you put joy in my life. Lord, help to check my joy meter when I turn gloomy. There is a time for every emotion, and I thank you for creating me this way. I pray for smiley days and for me to have joy to share with the world.
In Jesus Name,
Amen


Psalm 30:11
You turned my wailing into dancing;
   you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy”



3 comments:

  1. I've never met you but from what I have read on here, you definitely fit the name of sunshine. Your blog and your comments to me are always beautiful rays of light. Keep on shining!

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for praying, and smiling :)
    May the LORD be your joy, always and forever!
    --Andrew

    P.S. I like the giraffes =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ave, you are such a beautiful person and I am so thankful to know you. Love you, sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I am Avonlea. I appreciate the comments so much. Thank you! I pray that you were blessed by this blog. :)