Sunday, June 26, 2011

One Cool Kid!


I had always wondered while I was in high school why we divide people into two categories: the not-so-cool kids and the cool kids. It brings me back to a time of peer pressure. People especially adolescents are prone to do anything it takes to be well liked: a cool kid. I think the same thing was happening in the Bible, but instead this person stood against peer pressure and became a not cool kid. 


Her name was Queen Vashti, and you can find her story in Esther 1. You see back in the day, men loved to show off their prize possessions especially their woman. King Xerxes had a little too much to drink the night before and decided it would be a good idea to have his wife show off to the men at the banquet while wearing her royal crown. But instead of giving into the peer pressure that her husband imposed on her, she stood up against him with confidence and a loud NO! She became a cool kid for not giving into peer pressure that was filled in that room. 


Esther 1:12 “But when the attendants delivered the king’s command, Queen Vashti refused to come. Then the king became furious and burned with anger.”

This is my prayer last night in regards to this reading, and my prayer for you.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I pray that I will never give into peer pressure from my peers. I want to be the woman who stands out of the crowd being the difference. Lord, help me to find a man who will not command me, but love me in a respectable way. Thank you, Abba!
In Jesus Name,
Amen

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! It takes a beautiful woman of God like you to be able to stand against the evils of the world. I am so proud of you darlin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an inspiring post! Esther is one of my favourite books in the bible, and I love how you incorperated Vashti into this post. You should me this story in a new light! Great job!

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I am Avonlea. I appreciate the comments so much. Thank you! I pray that you were blessed by this blog. :)